36 Blake Road



36 Blake Road


Year Built:
Permit Date:
William J. Freethy
Harry Sklaver
Cost to Build:
(On Permit Date):
Goldie Sklaver
First Residents:
Harry and Mary Karofsky

This house on the north side of Blake Road, near Tappan Street, was the last (or possibly next to last) built on the property originally laid out as Blake Park. (Other Blake Park houses were built later, after Frances Blake's death in 1939, on the six acres the family had retained in 1916.)

The builder and architect of this house, Harry Sklaver and William J. Freethy, would also be responsible for five houses on Somerset Road in 1940-41 when that street was extended with the development of the remaining Blake property. They also worked together on one house on Welland Road. The current owner of this house is a relative of Harry Sklaver.

The first residents of 36 Blake Road were the family of Harry and Mary Karofsky. The lived in this house until the late 1960s.. Harry Karofsky (c1891-1988) was co-founder of Ullian & Karofsky of Boston, a manufacturer of women's apparel. Born in Russia, came to Boston in 1907 and studied fashion design in New York. Mary (Hibbel) Karofsky (c1892-1978) was born in Poland. They married in Boston in 1910.

The 1940 Census showed the residents of this house as Harry  and Mary and their son Alfred, 22, as well as a maid, Helen Sullivan, 19. 



Original Format