25 Weybridge Lane



25 Weybridge Lane


Year Built:
Permit Date:
Royal Barry Wills
Maurice Dunlavy
Cost to Build:
(On Permit Date):
Maurice Dunlavy
First Residents:
Oscar B. & Anne D. Hawes

25 Weybridge Lane, like all four of the houses on this small and still private street (and 21 others in Blake Park), was designed by Royal Barry Wills and built by Maurice A. Dunlavy.

The first owners of this house were Oscar and Anne Hawes. They were listed at this address in the Street List from 1934 to 1938 and again beginning in 1943. (They apparently rented the house to other tenants in the intervening years.)

The Rev. Oscar Brown Hawes (c1872-1963) was a Unitarian minister. He graduated from Harvard University in 1893 and later attended the Harvard Divinity School. He was ordained in 1897. He served as a minister in Colorado and Toronto and then, for 17 years, in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. After additional stints in New Jersey, Newton, MA, and New Hampshire, he came to Brookline as minister of the Second Unitarian Society -- their meeting house at the corner of Sewall Avenue and Charles Street is now Temple Sinai -- in the mid-1930s and served there until his retirement in 1938.

The house was rented to various tenants for the next four years, including: Blanche E. Sinclair, a nurse (listed in 1939); James F. Dawson, a salesman, and his wife Hazel (1940); Dorothy Roberts, a housewife who had been in China (1941); and Betsy Webster, a housewife (1942.)

Oscar Hawes and his wife Anne (c1880-1957), who had retired to Maine, returned to the Weybridge Lane house and were listed there again from 1943 until the early 1950s.