70 Welland Road



70 Welland Road


Year Built:
Permit Date:
John Radford Abbot
William Greenwood
Cost to Build:
(On Permit Date):
William Greenwood, 8 Emerson Street
First Residents:
Ervin & Laura H. Johnson

70 Welland Road, which sits next to the Brookline High extension of 1919 on the south side of Welland Road, was the home initially of Ervin and Laura Johnson and their family.

Ervin Arthur Johnson (born 1873) was a dentist. He and his wife Laura (born c1877) were both born in Vermont. They moved to Brookline from Braintree around 1916. They had a son, Sidney, born c1907), who was listed as an engineer at first and then an auditor in the Street List and as an airplane salesman in the 1930 U.S. Census. Lucie M. Johnson, who may have been Sidney's wife, was listed with them beginning with the 1933 Street List.

The 1930 Census listed the residents as: Ervin A. Johnson, 57, dentist, born Vermont; Laura H. Johnson, 53, born Vermont; and Sidney Johnson, 23, salesman (air plane). The Johnson family was listed at this address from 1930 to 1938.

Following the Johnsons were Harry and Lillian S. Goldinger who moved here from 24 Adams Street. Harry (1894-1973) was a dentist with an office on Beacon Street. He and Lillian (1900-1992) had two daughters. The family was listed at this address from 1939 through the late 1960s.

The architect of 70 Welland Road, John Radford Abbot, began his career in 1919 with the firm of Strickand , Blodgett and Law in Boston and opened his own architectural practice in Cambridge in 1929. He designed building for many private schools, including Abbot, Andover and Milton Academies, and the Noble & Greenough School. He also designed 17 Hancock Road in Blake Park.