41 Welland Road



41 Welland Road


Year Built:
Permit Date:
Architect: Raymond Stowell
Builder: Chestnut Hill Building Co. Inc.
Cost to Build: $9,000
(On Permit Date):
Chestnut Hill Building Co. Inc., 1320 Beacon Street
First Residents: Mary F.G.. & Michael A. McManus

41 Welland Road was one of first houses built after Frances Blake's death and the addition to Blake Park of that part of the estate that she had retained in 1916.

The first residents of this house were Mary and Michael McManus, previously at 36A St. Paul Street. Michael Alphonsus McManus (1899-1988) was an accountant. He and his wife Mary (1911-1986) were listed at this address from 1942 to 1945.

The next residents were Melvin M. and Marcia A. Starensier, who were first listed here in 1946. They had previously lived at 53 Gardner Road. Melvin Starensier (1912-1989), whose parents came to the U.S. from Russia, was was president of S. Starensier Inc., a textile manufacturing company in Newburyport and Haverhill, which he founded in the 1930s and operated until his retirement in 1986.

The house was owned by the Starensier family until 2012.