|Builder:||Earl Butterfield (E.S. Butterfield Co.)|
|Cost to Build:||$15,000|
(On Permit Date):
|Arthur Russell, Boston|
|First Residents:||Claudia G. & Lewis N. Cushman|
This house was one of three on Stanton Road built by Earl Butterfield. (He also built 47 Greenough Street on the corner of Stanton.) These were the first houses built on Stanton (formerly known as Cypress Place) after it was extended across Greenough Street into the former Blake estate.
The first residents listed at this address in the Street List, although they apparently were not the owners, were Claudia (born in Canada c1883 or 1890) and Lewis Newell Cushman (born in New Hampshire in 1865). The Cushmans were in the real estate business. Brookline and U.S. Census records do not show Claudia with an occupation at the time the Cushmans lived here, but she had been involved with her husband's business, based in Lowell, the previous decade. (See the ad below from the 1915 Lowell City Directory.)
The Cushmans were listed at this address in the Street List from 1928 to 1931. The 1930 U.S. Census listed the residents as: Lewis N. Cushman, 65, real estate broker, born New Hampshire; and Claudia G. Cushman, 40, born French Canada. (The 1920 Census showed Claudia as having been born seven years earlier.) They were paying $125 a month in rent.
The next residents, listed in the Street List from 1932 to 1935, were Oakley C. and Emma M. Willis and their daughter Gladys E. Ferris. Oakley Willis (1874-1946), born in Ohio, was listed as a superintendent in the Street List.
The Willis family was followed for two years by Maurice and Lillian Knoring, together with Lillian's mother Anna Gainsborg and one other person, Ada Freaman, a buyer. Maurice (1896-1972) was listed as a jobber. Maurice and Lillian (1893-1976) had a daughter, Shirley. Earl Lehnherr, a doctor, and his wife Katherine, who moved here from Boston, were listed next for one year (1938).
The frequent turnover at 70 Stanton ended, to some extent, with the next residents, Henry G. and Sadie Segal. The Segals, who moved here from 59 Green Street, were listed at this address from 1939 until the late 1940s. Henry Segal (1891-1963) -- shown as Harry in the Street List -- was owner of a film exchange, possibly a motion picture distributor. He and his wife Sadie had four children. Their oldest, Myron (1919-2000), was in the Army from 1943-45. He was listed as a manager in the 1946 Street List, when his wife Natalie, formerly of Brighton, had also joined the family on Stanton Road.