|Architect:||Alexander D. Boyle|
|Builder:||Earl S. Butterfield|
|Cost to Build:||$14,000|
(On Permit Date):
|Arthur Russell, Boston|
|First Residents:||Elizabeth J. & John E. O'Donnell|
This house was one of three on Stanton Road built by Earl Butterfield. (He also built 47 Greenough Street on the corner of Stanton.) These were the first houses built on Stanton (formerly known as Cypress Place) after it was extended across Greenough Street into the former Blake estate.
59 Stanton was the home initially of Elizabeth and John O'Donnell, who moved here from Taunton. John O'Donnell (born c1895) was in the real estate business, according to his listings in the Street List. The 1930 U.S. Census showed him as a hotel owner.
The 1930 Census listed the residents as: John E. O'Donnell, 35, hotel owner; Elizabeth J. O'Donnell, 32; Ruth E. O'Donnell, 4; and John E. O'Donnell, 1. The house was valued at $16,000. The family was listed at this address from 1927 to 1932.
Following the O'Donnells at 59 Stanton, after a one year gap in the Street List, was the family of David L. and J. Florence Shoolman. David Shoolman (born c1898) was listed as a salesman, and later as a manufacturer. The family was listed at this address until the early 1960s. Florence Shoolman's father, William Hurwitz (born 1878) was listed with them from 1939 to 1942. He was a horse dealer, according to the 1930 Census and other records, and was shown as a merchant and dealer in the Street List.