Skip to main content

Hancock Road

Hancock Road was called Winthrop Circle when first laid out by the P.H Trust in 1916. (It's across Gardner Road from Winthrop Road.) The Inter-City Trust kept the name (see the 1921 plan under Blake Road, above), but it had been changed to Hancock Road by the time the first house was built there in 1927. (A small section of the street, between Gardner Road and the steps of Gardner Path, was laid out with the Path in 1886 and later incorporated with the new road.) 

Name Origin: Hancock Road was presumably named for John Hancock. (A house just outside Blake Park, at 432 Washington Street, is a replica of Hancock's Beacon Hill mansion, which was torn down in 1863.)